you will be different.

A letter to my pre-mom self.-1-2

“You will be different. You will see parts of yourself that are unrecognizable, brought only to the surface by the sheer fact that another human is suddenly dependent on you for everything. You will be anxious, you will worry, you will feel overprotective like you have never felt before. You will simultaneously need space and not need space because all you want to do is be alone and also never leave your baby with anyone else. You will uncover a plethora of mom-related judgements that were hiding in your heart all along, and one by one they will fall by the wayside as you realize just how hard and messy and glorious this calling of motherhood actually is. You will learn to love fiercely and wildly without expectations, and for the first time in your whole life, your heart will default to selflessness—a part of you that always existed but was buried deep down inside—waiting for this moment, this change, this baby, this occasion to rise.”

….over at Coffee + Crumbs today, sharing a letter to my pre-mom self.

This entry was posted in love and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to you will be different.

1. Stephanie says:

Love this picture with the Target snack! Pretty sure I got a snack anywhere and everywhere while pregnant! 🙂

2. Ashley says:

What a beautiful post!
    Ashley´s last blog post ..See the World Anew

3. Kim Amack says:

Thank you for this post. I have to say, while I totally understand mom bloggers need a place to vent/yell/cry/unload, it’s really tough for me to read the “hard” posts and feel excited about motherhood. Here’s why: I’m not a mom yet, so I can’t identify with the “Life is sooo hard BUT I love my child so much that it doesn’t matter” mentality. I CAN identify with feelings of weakness, pain, frustration, sadness, tension, not getting enough sleep, etc… But my future sweet lil babe is not in my arms yet so it’s difficult (obviously) for me to then feel good after I read the few lines at the end of a “hard” post where moms talk about the fact that your child makes it all worth it. Yes, I know moms out there are just speaking the truth about it all, but it does help to read posts with messages like the above! Thanks Ashlee.

4. SK Bell says:

THANK YOU! I love this one!!!

5. Amber says:

This is a good letter for anyone who plans on being a Mom one day… I sent it to my friend who just found out she’s pregnant!

6. Alexis Paige says:

this was a gorgeous and beautiful post.
    I’m very delighted at stumbling across your blog.
    Alexis Paige´s last blog post ..30 Day Challenge

7. Caroline says:

Love Love Love this post…I shared it on Facebook and everyone was in tears…I just started reading your other posts and they are just amazing…I totally connect with it all. So glad I found this place, will be sharing with all my Mom and non-Mom friends 🙂

8. this one made me cry…so beautiful + true Ashlee.
    susan // fleurishing´s last blog post ..bon weekend

9. Susan M says:

i love this! I am also so happy for the success of your new adventure over at Coffee + Crumbs. For some reason i can’t post comments on the site which I am trying to figure out why…but I wanted to let you know how happy I am and that it just shows how many of us moms have been waiting for a site like that to express ourselves without judgement, the good, the bad and the awesome…thx
    Susan M´s last blog post ..Hi, my name is Susan and I have my LCSW

10. Molly says:

Oh my gosh! #1, I love this. #2, I did not know this photo was yours! I saw this photo on Pinterest before I ever got pregnant (so 2 years ago almost) and I pinned it to my board titled “One Day.” and I captioned it with “Someone travelled to the future and took a photo of me!” This is too funny. Clearly, your blog and I were meant to meet.

• Molly says:

Actually, out of curiosity I just found my old pin and it is a direct link to your essay on C+C; so you know nobody is using your image out of turn 😉