second trimester faves.

Second trimester favorites | where my heart resides

1. Dry body brush – Have you guys heard of this? Full disclaimer: I came across the concept of dry body brushing while googling how to get rid of cellulite. In related news: the beauty blogs had me at “reduces the appearance of cellulite.” Apparently there are a lot of other benefits…..it increases circulation, encourages new cell growth, releases toxins, rejuvenates the nervous system, helps with muscle toning, etc. But really, if I’m being honest, I’m in it for the reduced cellulite. I use this brush every morning right before I get in the shower, and then lather myself with coconut oil when I get out. It’s only been a week since I’ve started dry brushing, but I’m really starting to love it being part of my routine. It’s super relaxing, feels good, and my skin has been noticeable softer. Will report back on the cellulite.

2. Dream lace boyshorts – Real talk! I need to tell you about The Underwear Crisis of 2014. It went something like this…..I found out I was pregnant and two days later, none of my underwear fit. No exaggeration. I am not sure what happened but somehow all of my underwear was suddenly, noticeably, much too small. Naturally, I started ordering underwear every other day on Amazon and picking up three pairs every time I went to to Target. I think I bought close to 28 pairs in two weeks, and I wish I was kidding, but I’m not. I mean, it’s underwear. The essential of all essentials. I wanted something that was a) soft/flattering around the hips, b) seamless, and c) could be worn with tight fitting clothes/maxi dresses without lines. And I am happy to report that 28 pairs of underwear later, I FOUND THE PERFECT ONES. If you’re pregnant (heck, even if you’re not pregnant), I cannot recommend these boyshorts enough. I also bought a few pairs of these and like them just as much. If you’re pregnant, order one size up. And while we’re on the subject of undergarments and TMI things, I also recently discovered maternity spanx and my life has been changed forever. This was my first time wearing spanx and really, I just want to buy five more because I love them so much. They are worth every penny and then some.

3. Wedge sandals – I love a good pair of wedges, and I love a good pair of sandals. These are the best of both worlds, and give me the perfect amount of height when I want to remain casual. They look great with dresses, shorts, maxi skirts, everything. Plus, they’re comfy. Win-win.

4. Burts Bees Momma Oil – After I lather up with coconut oil in the morning, I slather a thin layer of Cocoa Butter lotion + this all over my belly, hips, and chest. It sounds like a lot, but my skin soaks it up. Call it my stretch mark prevention plan.

5. Babylist – I don’t know what all the rules are about registering for a second baby, especially when the second baby is also the same gender as your first baby, but there are a few things on our wishlist so I figured I would make one just in case anyone asked for a gift idea. I used Babylist the first time around, and loved it, so obviously I’m using it again. I love that you can register for items from any store, it’s super easy to use, it’s pretty (!!), and they are in the process of adding completion discounts. If you want to see our little wishlist in progress, here it is. (Thanks for not judging the fact that I made one in the first place.)

6. Hair color conceal spray – Mmmmk. So, when I am not pregnant, my hair grows really fast. When I am pregnant, my hair grows abnormally fast. And when I say abnormally fast, I mean two weeks after I get my hair colored, my roots are showing. I bumped up my appointments to every six weeks while pregnant (normally I go between eight-ten), and no joke—by week three, my roots are straight up embarrassing. My natural hair color is an ashy brown, which tends to look gray-ish along the roots. NOT OKAY. After hunting around on Amazon, I came across this little gem, which basically sprays dry color directly onto your roots. AMAZING. You only have to use a little, it sprays on just like dry shampoo, and lasts until you wash your hair again. If you have quick hair outgrowth and color your hair, this stuff is the bomb.com. Also! When your hair falls out after you have a baby (it will!), this is great because it makes your hair look fuller along the part line.

7. Peony one-piece swimsuit – I ordered this bad boy for our upcoming trip to Puerto Vallarta after trying on approximately 47 bikinis at Target and having a (small) meltdown in the dressing room. Fingers crossed it fits!

8. Pregnancy pillow – My friend Christina ordered this and didn’t like it, but I think she’s crazy because it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Brett and I have a lot of inappropriate nicknames for this pillow, but the bottom line is: IT HELPS ME SLEEP BETTER. Also helping me sleep better? Unisom. Ask your doctor/midwife if you can take some if you have crazy pregnancy insomnia like I do (and by crazy, I mean I can be often be found on the couch at 3am eating cheerios and watching Bravo).

9. ASOS maternity striped dress – This dress is on sale for $23. You should definitely get one (order a size up, it’s short!). If I haven’t mentioned this before, ASOS is by far, my favorite place for maternity clothes. Other favorites: this dress, this dress, this dress, this top.

The end.

As usual, this post contains affiliate links, which means if you decide to make a purchase, I earn a few dollars. Thanks for supporting me and funding my coffee addiction.
This entry was posted in get, Transfer and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to second trimester faves.

1. Mariah says:

I’m dying for a new swimsuit that fits a prego’s body, be sure to let us know if the suit works out!!
    Mariah´s last blog post ..For When The Post Just Sits

2. Ashley says:

I’ve heard your hair doesn’t take dye as well when pregnant, which could be part of the problem! I know my hair loses color SOFAST when I’m pregnant. I’ve been dying to dye it again since giving birth!

Also, pretty sure when you’re pregnant you don’t need to be worrying about spanx, lady. 😉 You look great!
    Ashley´s last blog post ..Introducing…

I have not heard that, but I believe it! The top fades sooooo fast, and I only wash my hair every 3 days!

Also, thank you. I only wear them with form fitting dresses but DANG they make a difference 😉

Pregnancy pillow, right?! I never stopped using mine after our son was born!
    Sarabell´s last blog post ..I love you.

4. Jessica H says:

I have tried dry brushing– for the cellulite as well, and have noticed an improvement in my digestive system because of it. Haven’t really been using it faithfully, but I’m planning on doing that.

5. Susan says:

I keep waiting/hoping for the hair loss. Sadly it’s not coming 10 months later and I still am getting headaches from heaviness. But I do have a bald spot at my temple where he keeps ripping it out! Ha
    Susan´s last blog post ..27/52

6. Jen says:

Love this list! I’m going to bookmark this for whenever we decide to try for baby #2. I have a question for you though; I love coconut oil for cooking and I keep hearing it has a host of benefits when added to your beauty regimen but I’m so confused on how to use it (silly, I know)! Do you use the same coconut oil that you would cook with, or is there a body specific product out there?

The same kind you cook with! I ordered mine off Amazon, but I know a lot of people who use the kind from Trader Joe’s. Coconut oil is weird because it softens around 78 degrees…..my jar goes back and forth between being a solid and liquid, but I like it best when it’s just kind of mushy because it’s easiest to apply. I just put some in between my hands and rub it on like lotion. It’s harder to apply in the winter because it turns solid so I usually use a different kind of oil in the winter time (vitamin E or grapeseed).

7. Christina Gathright says:

Ok, now I really need to try dry brushing because you are like the 10th blogger I’ve seen posting about it 🙂 That swimsuit is gorgeous and I’m sure you’ll look beautiful in it! Enjoy the beach!

8. Jessica N says:

Yup, could not have survived my pregnancy without my pregnancy body pillow (Bump Nest). Now, I have a one week old and still use it for sleeping and propping up baby! Also, loved Burt’s Bees oil!

Jessica N´s last blog post ..Our BABY is HERE

I have a feeling Brett is going to kick that pillow out of the bed the second this baby comes, but maybe I should hang onto it for a while….

Also, congrats on your new baby! 😉

9. Lesley says:

I have that same body brush! I’ve been using it for… maybe a month? Robin at Balanced Life recommended it for ridding the body of toxins. I have to say, I’ve loved the routine too. Please DO report back on the cellulite. Ha.

Love that navy/white striped dress! I had a similar maternity one and it was my favorite outfit!
    Lesley´s last blog post ..There’s no one-size fits all method for raising children

You and Tammy both had cute dresses like that and totally inspired me! I contemplated taking before and after cellulite pictures but decided I had to draw the line somewhere with this blog. And I draw it at cellulite pictures.

10. Kellie says:

I have the Sakura Bloom on your registry. Love it. It’s so lightweight. Definitely a learning curve though. River city babywearers have been my BFFs for teaching me how to use it correctly!
    Kellie´s last blog post ..Our favorite Baby Items: Newborn-3 months

Ooooh I will look into that! I had the moby wrap the first time around and loved wearing it around the house but found it impossible to assemble in public (I always ended up dragging it all over the ground at some point). Wanted to try something different this time and have heard nothing but great things about Sakura!

11. Candice says:

Hello,

Nice to know you’re from the Bay Area as well. I came across your blog via StitchFix as I was wondering if they offered maternity clothes. Anyway, I noticed your blog doesn’t have an archive list to view old posts (at least I wasn’t able to find it).

I love dry brushing. I haven’t used it consistently, but I did notice that my skin was super smooth after.

12. Victoria B says:

I have enjoyed dry brushing for the last month! It just feels great and it gets my lymphatic system going! I have just added this Prtty Peaushun to my wishlist but thought you would enjoy it also! It is supposed to reduce the appearance of cellulite and skin imperfections with a nice “glow” and it’s all natural! http://info.ecodivabeauty.com/blog/bid/379133/Best-All-Natural-Body-Lotion-Prtty-Peaushun
    Victoria B´s last blog post ..Naples, Florida to Naples, Italy