february 25th.

It was a Tuesday and I was feeling sick, that same feeling I get after I’ve been on a boat for a while.

A pack of pregnancy tests was set to arrive in my mailbox the next day, thanks to Amazon prime, but suddenly that seemed too far away. Could I wait 24 hours? I paced. I ate crackers. I drank juice. I paced some more. Finally, I called Brett.

“Can you pick up a pregnancy test on your way home from work?”

Accustomed to running occasional awkward errands for me, he willingly stopped by CVS on the way home because he’s a saint like that. Unlike the first time, there was no stalling that afternoon. There were no towels to fold. The second he got home, I grabbed the test and made a beeline for the bathroom.

“You’re going to take it now?!”

“Yes! The suspense is killing me!”

I was 99% sure I was pregnant, but I had taken a test the week before and it had been negative. I didn’t want to try again until I was sure.

A minute later I saw two lines, the same two lines I had seen when I first found out about Everett’s existence. It was both expected and unexpected, like the way a rainbow appears after a hard rain—a pleasant surprise and the mark of a promise, a sign of hope and good things to come. I carried the test out into the living room with a huge smile on my face.

“Two lines!”

Brett’s face said it all, really.

“WHAT?” he said incredulously.

He looked at it with me, in disbelief, before calmly suggesting I take another one. The box had two tests in it, one with lines and one with a yes/no. Brett never believes the first pregnancy test. Ever. He didn’t believe I was pregnant with Everett until our first ultrasound, despite the fact that we had already told a dozen people.

I took the second test, which revealed a prompt “yes”. I squealed. We hugged, both of us in slight shock. We told Everett he was going to be a big brother and he said, “choo choo?”

Sure kid, we can play choo choos.

I called my friend Christina, who had found out she was pregnant the week before. She screamed; I screamed back. It was all very surreal. We had joked about trying to get pregnant together but I never imagined our due dates would be nine days apart.

We made spinach tortellini for dinner, and prayed for the baby before we ate together at the kitchen table. We sat there, just the three of us, like any other Tuesday night. Sunlight poured in through the window, creating shadows of our three silhouettes on the wall.

Everything was the same.

And everything was different.

This entry was posted in be, love, Transfer and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to february 25th.

1. Carolyn says:

I needed this today. Thank you 🙂

2. Oh I just love this! Such a sweet story and one your little baby will love to hear one day too! xo
    natasha {schue love}´s last blog post ..Decor for the Big Boy Room

3. brittany says:

gosh, this is so beautifully told! isn’t that the craziest thing about finding out you’re pregnant? nothing has changed, save for some hormone levels… but at the same time… everything is different right then and forever. congratulations!!!
    brittany´s last blog post ..a little home dreaming

I love this and I just can’t wait to experience this moment for ourselves! Congrats again. =]

5. Christina says:

I will always, always remember this day! And that I immediately yelled down the hall to Andrew screaming “Ashlee is pregnant!!!!” Because pregnancy news is just that darn good. Even more so when you’re going through it with your good friend

6. Meghann says:

What a beautiful post! Congratulations!! 🙂

7. Jamie says:

Aww what a nice story! Finding out a baby is on the way is such a blessing!
    Jamie´s last blog post ..Best Black Leggings For Women

8. Jo says:

Beautiful.

9. Gina says:

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with us. 🙂
    Gina´s last blog post ..Five on Friday v31

10. This is the sweetest story, your posts always are. Congrats again on your gorgeous little family +1. Hope you are keeping well. XO
    Sarah-Louise B´s last blog post ..Weekly Wishes #6 – June Goals

11. Lottie says:

Love this post so much! I am pregnant with my second pregnancy and I thought I was before the test but you put it beautifully when you said ” It was both expected and unexpected, like the way a rainbow appears after a hard rain”.
    Lottie´s last blog post ..R.I.P.

12. Susan M says:

You write with such ease and full of love. Thank you for sharing that special moment. Good luck
    Susan M´s last blog post ..Facing a Challenge

13. This was so beautifully written! You have such a beautiful family. Congrats for the new addition to come! It’s fun having two kids.

14. Anne says:

Your writing is so so good! I loved reading this!