five little things on a friday.

where my heart resides-11. Do you crockpot? A few weeks ago, I tried this chicken taco recipe that my friend Christina recommended and it was de-lish. We all know I suck at meal planning and I think if I can master the crockpot, I will suck at it a little less. Send me your recipes!

2. Tomorrow is February. Remember when I said I was going to start doing monthly newsletters? And then I completely forgot about it until this week? Oops. SO, newsletters are starting in February, hooray! Sign up here.

3. Can we talk about something awkward for a minute? Adult acne is not a joke. For the past six months my face has basically been a walking billboard for Proactiv. It has been horrible. I read somewhere online that dairy can cause acne and I was so desperate that I actually contemplated giving up dairy to fix my face. Then I came to my senses and decided that I would rather live with acne than live without cheese (amen?). After googling and googling and googling some more, and reading 1,482 reviews on various products, I settled on the Neutrogena Acne System. YOU GUYS. This stuff works. At first it dried out my skin like whoa, but NOW, I practically have a whole new face. I had major, giant breakouts all over my chin and jawline when I started using this. Two weeks later, I am left with just a few little marks where the breakouts used to be, and even better—NO new breakouts. I would never say that this product will work for everyone, but it definitely worked for me. Note: your face will be really dry for the first week or so, but then it adjusts. Don’t give up.

4. A few people have mentioned that they would love for me to do a post on photography. I am happily obliging that request and getting ready to share all my secrets with you. Have a photography-related question? Leave it in the comments and I’ll try to answer as best I can in a future post!

5. Speaking of photography, I am planning another pop-up portrait session in the yellow flower field this spring. If you’re interested, send me an e-mail (ashlee.gadd@gmail.com) so I can keep you posted on details! Spots filled up quickly last time.

Happy weekend, friends!

This entry was posted in be and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to five little things on a friday.

1. Mariah says:

I love my crockpot! It makes it feel like I have a home chef who prepared a meal for me! My current fave: http://foodfamilyfinds.com/slow-cooker-chicken-philly-sandwiches-recipe/, although I use balsalmic and Montreal steak seasoning instead of Dale’s. But either way. Happy January!
    Mariah´s last blog post ..Things My Baby Doesn’t Need :: Etsy Edition

2. Whitney says:

Here’s my all-time favorite crockpot recipe: http://www.mamalovesfood.com/2011/10/corn-and-potato-chowder-recipe-for.html. I love that I can get home from work in the evenings and the house smells great and dinner is ready to go!
    Whitney´s last blog post ..Snow Day

3. Jessica says:

Ugh, I hear ya on the adult acne. Mine has been out of control for months, though I am betting that it’s hormone related. Nothing I do seems to make a difference, and it makes me wicked self-conscious. I literally haven’t had skin this bad since I was 14!

A crockpot roundup of recipes would be fun. We just got one for Christmas, and I have been looking for fun recipes to try too. 🙂
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Jumping the First Hurdle

4. Helen says:

Oh acne… I hear you !
    I started using only lancome galatee confort as a make up remover, changed my life. It is very good for dry skin. Overall all the lancome skincare has proven very effective and helpful for my dry and sensitive skin.

5. Natalie says:

I would LOVE if you did photography tutorials. Even your editing process. And I think you’ve sold me on that acne system : )
    Natalie´s last blog post ..Five Things for Friday

6. Ckah says:

I just emailed you about the photo pop up shoots! And I just posted a super easy and similar crock pot recipe on my blog. :)! It was easy and delicious. But really just throw anything in a crock pot and it’s good .

7. Lana V. says:

Seriously! What is up with 20 something acne? It’s brutal. Good to know about neutrogena.

And if you’re into the crockpot check out my go to: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ She basically cooked every day for one year from her crockpot. I’ve found lots of good recipes and ideas.

8. Lauren Gibbs says:

Hey Ashlee, I am a big fan of the Neutrogena Acne System! Have been using it for a while now. Every time I run out, I debate on whether or not I should buy it again, start using another face wash in the meantime & always regret it & end up buying more! You’d think I would learn. Ha!
    Also, one of my favorite crock pot recipes is so so simple — root beer pulled pork sandwiches with just 3 ingredients. Seriously the easiest dinner & it’s so good. Here’s the link if you want to try: http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/3-ingredient-pulled-pork/97ce3e03-1178-416c-8073-e1e37987e060?_szp=85614&_szi=23
    Lauren Gibbs´s last blog post ..Food Friday: Oven Beer Can Chicken

9. Paulette Hawes says:

Hi Ash –

Just thought I would comment on the adult acne issue. I am 54 years old and still occasionally breakout – seems to be more stress induced. I have been using the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle (deep wrinkle daily moisturizer) every day for several years now. I also swear by the Neutrogena product line. Most people don’t believe it when I tell them how old I am. Just wanted to pass on this information for your older reading audience.

Paulette

10. Liz says:

I am SO getting in on this flower field portrait sesh action this time!
    Liz´s last blog post ..Now & Then

11. Lacey says:

okay, i love my crockpot. it’s seriously a lifesaver, especially with my six-month-old having her fussiest part of the day at about 4pm. just yesterday i made a crockpot roast. i buy the, i think it’s mccormick’s, seasoning packet at the store, chop up some yellow gold potatoes, an onion and throw in a couple handfuls of baby carrots that we buy in bulk at costco. it’s soooo good and moist. yum.

also, i’ve been breaking out LIKE CRAZY lately. i’m chalking it up to post-partum hormones but i’m so over it. a family member of mine sells avon so i’ve been trying their products for just under a week now but if it doesn’t improve soon i may just have to switch over to neutrogena and try that. thanks for the tip!
    Lacey´s last blog post ..01.29.14 | I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO CALL THIS POST

Yuuuuum. Thanks for the super simple crockpot idea. For some reason using the crockpot feels really intimidating to me and then I read your instructions and I’m like DUH. I could do that.

Also: my post-partum hormones definitely affected my face (among other things). You are not alone.

12. If you and Brett would just consider moving to the Northwest so you could take all of our family pictures forever and ever that would be great 😉 But I guess until then, I am pumped to read your photography secrets- one of your many talents! And P.S. Crockpot: 4 chicken breasts, 1 can black beans, 1 can frozen corn, juice of one full lime, 1 packet taco seasoning,1 jar salsa, on low about 6 hours, shred chicken, top with cilantro, serve over rice or tortillas, love it and thank me later 😉
    Katie Blackburn´s last blog post ..give them away

Friend, if we ever do move to the Northwest I will totally do photoshoots of Harps ON THE REGULAR. We should dress her and Ev in coordinating outfits and take love pictures of them feeding each other cheerios. Come on.

p.s. your crockpot recipe is brilliant. writing this on a post-it note as I type.

13. Gina says:

Here’s my one of my favorite crockpot recipes for pulled pork sandos. So easy and delish!

I feel you on the acne! I can’t believe I’m still getting it in my late 20’s. My problem though is that I’m not good at washing my face at night, so I guess that’s my own fault. 😛

Emailing you now about the portraits!
    Gina´s last blog post ..Five on Friday v21

14. Ashley says:

Can you puhhhhhlease do a kid portrait pop-up? You know you want tooooooo!

15. Tracy says:

I would love to read a photography blog post on editing and marketing.

16. hailey farris says:

i am so excited you are doing a post on photography! i have a camera that i have been playing around on manual with for some time, but i just can’t seem to understand aperture. can you help with that?

I probably won’t get into anything super technical, but I’ll try to do a roundup of my favorite online resources to help you learn that stuff!

17. Kiki says:

I get the acne thing. I’ve started to wear more make-up these past few months and know for a fact it hasn’t helped. I’m actually on the look out for newer/different make-up now, but I digress. 🙂

Anyway, I cannot wait for these photography posts! I’ve always been a huge fan of your photos, the pretty lighting and warmth, and the way you capture and make eyes sparkle. Let’s just say I’m excited!!!
    Kiki´s last blog post ..BITS AND PIECES.

18. Pingback: Ten Lovely Little Things On A Friday | A Little Baby Bean

19. Bethany says:

I have all these dreams of meal planning but never do. However, I will pin that chicken taco recipe and hopefully give it a try! Adult acne is super annoying! The idea that it’s a teenage thing is a total lie!! I do swear by Neutrogena, though, too.
    Bethany´s last blog post ..do this: unplug

20. Kim says:

I really shouldn’t complain about acne because I have been lucky enough to have generally wonderful skin my whole life. The last three years, however, it started with a perpetual spot on my nose that comes back every so often. Now I’ve also got other spots in random places on my face! I’m a believer in adult acne and hope it doesn’t get worse!

I love my crockpot. I work from home as a freelancer, which means that I work constantly. My crockpot keeps me sane.
    Kim´s last blog post ..Cute, Clumsy Dogs

21. Mo says:

Hi there. I read your blog regularly but haven’t left a comment until now. I am also a keen but untrained photographer and I was wondering if you could recommend any good websites or youtube tutorials with photography lessons and tips?

22. Danavee says:

Thanks for for shout out (chicken tacos)! I really appreciate the link love! And I’m happy to have found you! Following you all over the interwebs now!
    Danavee´s last blog post ..Lately (via Instagram)

23. Christina says:

Hi friend, check this recipe out for crockpot Mac&Cheese! http://reinidays.com/crock-pot-macaroni-and-cheese/

I know, I know, it’s not healthy but it sure looks yummy. We’ll just go to extra barre classes! 😉

24. Jo says:

I want to know if you prefer Photoshop or Lightroom. I have been using Photoshop for the past few years but just teaching myself Lightroom and so far I love it! I read on your photography site you won’t do weddings and I was curious why. You’d be great.

25. michelle says:

I made this last week, super good, and we did 4 hours on high instead of 8 on low and it worked just fine. Trader Joe’s has frozen pearl onions too which simplifies the veggies. http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-beef-bourguignon-127752
    michelle´s last blog post ..Dinner Last Night: Pork Fried Rice

26. Samantha Lee says:

Photography Question : I have such a difficult time with aperture setting and depth of field. I always shoot manually (with either a kit lens of 50 mm), but for the life of me, I can hardly ever get multiple people in focus (or an entire landscape if I’m shooting that). I love shooting portraits, but I’m only confident in my close-ups…because again, I can’t figure out the mystery of having someone completely in focus if they are far away from me. Is there some kind of math equation for this?!
    Samantha Lee´s last blog post ..saturday dog beach

27. trista says:

Rachel’s taco soup is one of the EASIEST recipes and it makes great leftovers. My house likes to add mushrooms, too. 🙂

I also make something called “hobo dinner.” Awful name but it’s an old recipe. Brown hamburger meat (about 2lbs). Fill crock pot with hb meat, diced potatoes, corn, mushrooms, and cream of mushroom soup + a little milk or water to keep the bottom from burning. Cook on low, stirring occasionally until potatoes are cooked and tender. Hearty meal perfect for warming up after a cold day. 🙂

28. Ashley says:

ok, he is to die for! SO DARLING!