the mom card.

Confession: Everett is still drinking his milk from a bottle.

Back in May, our pediatrician told us at his one year appointment that it was “okay” for him to use a bottle for the next month, but that we needed to switch to sippy cups after that. She didn’t really give a good reason why, and not normally one to question the doctor, I agreed and said we would.

And I tried. Really. I did. I took the bottle away one day and tried warm milk in a sippy cup instead.

Ev wasn’t having it. He just looked at me and cried and cried, like WHY MOM?! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME? HOW DARE YOU!

Not to mention that without the bottle, our mornings were rough, our naps were shorter, and bedtime was a total disaster.

So I did what any other loving mother would do and I caved.

I convinced myself that because I had just weaned him (!) and because we were moving (!), it was okay for Ev to enjoy his bottle a little while longer. It made him happy, we were all transitioning, whatever. Also worth mentioning: Everett has been drinking water out of a sippy cup since he was six months old. He just prefers his milk in a bottle. You know, like I prefer my coffee in a mug, my juice in a glass, and my soda in a can. Potato, po-tah-to.

Then we moved and I was getting ready for my trip to Liberia and like any loving mother would do, I decided we couldn’t possibly get rid of the bottle before my trip because WHO DOES THAT? Who takes away the bottle and then leaves for two weeks? NOT THIS MOMMA.

Then I came back from my trip and not only was Everett even more in love with his ba-ba, he was also in love with drinking it on my lap, with his arms tightly wrapped around me.

Is this what heaven feels like? I think so.

And there you have it. Everett is almost sixteen months old, and we’re still snuggling three times a day with his blue blanket and ba-ba: first thing in the morning on the couch in our pjs, right before naptime, and right before bedtime in the grey rocking chair while I sniff his freshly washed baby hair.

So doc, I hate to break it to you, but I’m going to have the pull the mom card on this one. I don’t really care when Everett switches from a bottle to a sippy cup. I’ll make sure it’s sometime before college, okay?

1-photo(2)

This entry was posted in be and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to the mom card.

1. Samantha Jo says:

Amen! I just got back from my daughter’s 1-year appointment (which was awful. Stupid finger pricks and shots!) and almost broke down in tears when the doctor told me we have to break her from the bottle. She’s still a baby! I plan to keep it around – at least for bedtime – for a while longer 😉 Glad I’m not the only one!
    Samantha Jo´s last blog post ..MJ Turns One

2. Elly says:

It seems weird that the doctor (or whoever) would tell you to do something as mundane as bottle weaning without explaining a good reason (like, I don’t know, dental development?). If there’s no good reason, then just go with what works for you. If not weaning from a bottle is what works, then high five!
    Elly´s last blog post ..Sail Croatia – A Return Navigator Cruise. Day 2.

3. caprice says:

I am always shocked when people ask me if my 10-month old is drinking from a cup yet? It seems some like to rush the baby stage and I want to hold onto it for as long as I can. That time is so short and over quickly and they have the rest of their lives to drink from cups. I think as long as he is not at the point where he can make his own bottle (don’t lauph, I know someone that did!) then he will be fine and it is a nice comfort for him. I know some mamas that have breastfed their children until they were 3 with no dental issues at all. Don’t feel guilt over that one! BTW-Glad you are back safe from your travels!!!

4. kelsey says:

Do what works for you + Ev! I personally was glad Rooney weaned off bottles at 12.5 months because after 11 months of washing bottles EVERY SINGLE DAY, we were so ready to be done with them 🙂
    kelsey´s last blog post ..Why Credit Cards Are Dangerous

5. Allie says:

Ha! You go, Momma. I’m still nursing our little guy before naps and bedtime. Otherwise, I’m kind of afraid of what would happen if we stopped (i.e. not sleep). I don’t want to mess with a good thing, you know?
    Allie´s last blog post ..Being a Good Friend to a New Mom

6. It seemed like it took my brother forever to get off the bottle and he turned out amazingly! 🙂
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures´s last blog post ..Bluffton, South Carolina: Day 2

7. Is this a thing?!!? Mine still enjoys a morning and before bed baba and she’s going to be 3 in December. She also loves drinking from GLASS glasses without lids. A girl has her comforts.

Aw, I get this! I think it’s important for mamas to make a judgement call sometimes. =]
    Sarabell´s last blog post ..Page No Longer Active

9. Joanna says:

My little girl is 15 months and still has a bottle first thing and last thing at night. I’ve been told to get rid of it, but it makes her upset and difficult to settle and with everything else going on in her little life (teething, mummy going to work etc) I figure I’m not ready to be mean and get rid of it (plus I love the snuggles that come with it).
    It’s supposed to affect speech development (at least that’s what they say here in the UK) but she only has it twice a day and doesn’t walk around with the bottle hanging out of her mouth, so I’ll take my chances on that.

10. We’re 14.5 months and in the same boat…AND we still use the pacifier. Oops! 😉
    natasha {schue love}´s last blog post ..Shoe Love: Fall Flats

11. Kim says:

THANK YOU for this post! My son is 13 months old. I too tried taking his beloved baba away& holy moly, life sure did get harder! Life is already hard enough, so, I too caved & let him have his baba back! Bed time has been a lot easier since! I’m not really sure when I’ll even try taking it away from him, maybe when he’s older & can understand why he isn’t getting a baba anymore?? We’ll see 😉 thanks for keeping it real!