brussels sprouts for beginners.

Today’s guest post comes from my sweet friend Molly Yeh (pronounced “yay” – best last name ever?). She’s a regular contributor for The Violet and a rockstar in the kitchen. If you’re looking for a quick side dish to bring to Thanksgiving dinner, read on…

Until very recently, the only thing I thought I knew about Brussels sprouts is what I learned from that sad scene in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: they’re gross and you don’t want them falling from the sky. The first few times I had them—at the very mature age of twenty-something—I spit them out into my napkin, indiscreetly and perfectly unladylike. But of course if you add mustard to anything, I’m pretty much game. So, when I gathered up enough courage to try some of my mum’s sprouts that were coated in mustard and so insanely/fantastically crispy (both key elements in getting me to like something), I became infatuated.

Following is a super easy rendition of mum’s sprouts:

1 lb. Brussels sprouts
1 tb olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c crushed pecans or walnuts, optional
2 tb white balsamic vinegar
2 tb dijon mustard
1 tb honey
1/2 c dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375. Wash and chop sprouts in half, toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and bake in a large casserole dish for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. If using nuts, stir them into the dish after 30 minutes.

While the sprouts are in oven, combine balsamic, mustard, and honey. Pour the mixture over the cooked sprouts, toss in the cranberries, and stir to coat the sprouts evenly.

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in eat and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to brussels sprouts for beginners.

1. Jacki says:

Mmm … I love brussels sprouts but have never cooked them myself. Time to give it a try with this recipe!!
    Jacki´s last blog post ..Cold Weather Favorites

2. Michelle says:

Delicious!
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Dinner Last Night

3. Holly says:

I agree, add mustard to anything & I’m usually a fan, too! This recipe looks delicious, so delicious that I’m going to have to try it for Luke & I. We’ve never made brussel sprouts – so I’m excited to try something new!
    Holly´s last blog post ..Wedding Wednesday: Welcome Bags

4. Katie says:

I love Molly! I’ve never had brussel sprouts before but always wanted to try them. Especially after this recipe. Yum.
    Katie´s last blog post ..Thanksgiving Traditions

5. Camilla says:

this looks amazing! actually, i’m a huge fan of brussels sprouts but i’m always looking for new ways to cook them. usually i just steam them and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper. i need to get more creative.
    Camilla´s last blog post ..My Heart Resides in… Stuffing.

6. Pingback: 23: Friday Link Love at theinbetweenismine.com

7. Natalie says:

Thank you for posting this! Made it for dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS! I used golden raisins instead of cranberries and slivered almonds instead of pecans (used what I had in the pantry). Yum!

8. Pingback: Phone a Friend – Best Thanksgiving Recipes from Bloggers | Support Paula Deen

9. Pingback: almost eleventy thanksgiving recipes : the briny