adventures in baby food making.

Welp, we started solid food yesterday! It was thrilling. We decided to start with pureed zucchini, which I know is a rather random choice. I’ve been thinking about this day for a while, and kept asking myself: what should be Everett’s first food?! Avocado? Banana? Homemade applesauce? We have to pick the perfect food! It’s his first taste! He’ll never have a first taste again!

And then, I got over it.

We had zucchini in the fridge, and my baby cookbook said that zucchini is one of the best first green vegetables to try since it’s mild in taste and easy to digest. So, that’s what we tried. I let Everett eat some off my finger, and he seemed a little confused, but mostly apathetic about the whole experience. I wanted Brett to be there so we waited until right before bedtime to experiment, which probably wasn’t the best idea since Ev was already a little fussy (thank you time change!). I’m curious to try again today when he’s in a happy mood to see how he reacts the second time.

Next up? Pumpkin!

This entry was posted in eat and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to adventures in baby food making.

1. SO funny…and then I got over it! 😉 At least it looks really pretty! Can’t wait for Ethan to get to this point! 🙂
    natasha {schue love}´s last blog post ..Pumpkin Scones

Everett seriously hates food. Or maybe he just hates zucchini. We tried again today and he screamed the whole time I attempted to make him taste it. I’ll keep you posted on the pumpkin progress…

2. Paulette Hawes says:

Hey Ash –

You should send a copy of the picture of Everett with the cook book to the publisher. Of course, being Grandma, I think all his pictures are perfect! But this is too cute!! Who knows maybe they would use it in their next printing.

Love you, Mom

3. Andrea says:

Another kid cookbook I liked is called “food adventures” by Elisabeth Luard. It has recipes from around the world, and we thought it was great to introduce new flavors as early as possible. I remember with my 5 year old they advised green veggies first, then orange, then fruit, so they don’t just get used to sweet food. Do they still say that? (#2 is just 4 months, so I haven’t gotten there yet.) Zucchini makes a lot of sense, thanks for the tip.

Oooooh thanks for the tip, I’ll look that one up! I don’t know what the standard recommendation is these days….our pediatrician is pretty laid back and she said we could start with anything we wanted. So we did!

4. Mitzie says:

I tried all veggies and meats with Jeff for the first few months. Once I added fruits that had a sweet taste; he was sold. I love that you are making your own food. Ev is so darling and I can just imagine him trying food for the first time. You guys are the best parents ever!!

Oh I’ll have to look into that cookbook! I’m excited for babyfood… but mostly for the idea of being able to say I made it myself and for the prospect of more sleep at night… not for the actual shrieking, food-everywhere experience. =P
    Sarabell´s last blog post ..Getting There…

6. Your photos are awesome! I was like you and stressed and stressed over Roo’s first food, and then you know what? I realized it doesn’t really matter! Because they try ’em all eventually! Ha. (Sidenote: We went with egg yolk, which was so weird and random. Not a fan.)

We also both wanted to be there, so we did it in the evening, which isn’t Roo’s best time of day so it was kind of a bust. Sounds like your experience was similar.

We were SO excited to start food with her (around 4 months), and then after we did I realized…wait, this is a lot of work, and messy messy messy! 😀 So then we waited until she was 6 months. She’s 8 months now, and it’s getting a lot more fun. Although I am looking forward to the day she can feed herself!
    Kelsey Williams´s last blog post ..Dear Rooney :: 8 Months

7. Cara says:

I’m so happy that you are doing this. Making baby food for my nephews was seriously my favorite thing in the entire world! I hope you are enjoying it 🙂

p.s. Can’t believe how much Everett has grown! He is so adorable!
    Cara´s last blog post ..Colorful Front Doors

8. lacey says:

i love how he is just holding that book there so perfectly. c:
    lacey´s last blog post ..A SERIES ON THOUGHTS, V.5

9. Cassie says:

I used the same book to make my son’s food. Love that book. It’s simple and doesn’t overwhelm with too many different recipes like other books do. Good luck and keep trying!

10. Camilla says:

I love (LOVE) that he is holding the baby food cookbook. too funny.
    Camilla´s last blog post ..Around Here: It’s raining eucalyptus peels.

11. Adriana says:

Such a sweet photo! In a couple of months, my baby boy will be starting on solids too! Do you have any tips for a new momma on solid foods? May I ask what type of camera you use?