we met on twitter before that was cool.

Hello friend!

The world is a funny place. We see “New York, I love you” the first time we “meet”….fast forward two years, your photos inspire me to move to NYC. And then, it’s a coffee date with one of your friends that leads to the interview that leads to the job that I’m off to this morning on Madison Avenue.

Love, Christine

(postcard from NYC, 10/3/2012)

_______________________________________

Christine and I started following each other on Twitter back in 2009 after we were both mentioned in the same local article. A few casual tweets followed, and before I knew it, we were making plans to meet up at the movies. I had never done anything like that before, and I remember Brett asking cautiously as I flew out the door, “Wait….you’re meeting a girl at the movies? From the Internet?!” It seemed preposterous at the time (little did we know I’d be making a lot of friends on the Internet in the coming years).

I showed up at the Crest theater feeling slightly awkward and nervous, as much to be expected on a blind friend date. I had only seen a small photo online, but recognized Christine the minute she walked into the theater. We took our seats and made small talk, mostly about Sacramento (her old hometown, my new hometown). About two minutes into the conversation, she casually mentioned that she had just broken up with her boyfriend, was quitting her fancy PR job, and moving to France.

That’s when I almost spit out my diet coke.

You’re doing what?! She told me all about her plans (or should I say, lack of plans), as I listened in complete awe. Who was this girl? She was so….cool. So adventurous. So low maintenance. So….unlike anyone I had ever met.

That’s the moment when I realized Christine and I were complete opposites. Me: married, homeowner, steady job, already thinking about babies. Her: carefree, single, world traveler, babies not even on the radar. For the last three years she’s been traveling the world: France, Australia, Bali, Thailand, Croatia….are you impressed yet? Meanwhile, back in Sacramento, I’ve been working and popping out a baby. She’s now living the high life in New York City, working in the fashion district and spending her lunch breaks at the MoMA, while I’m living out of the same two pairs of sweatpants, tickling a baby all day.

And yet, despite our differences, we both have a mutual affection for writing, social media (obviously), traveling (me: daydreaming, her: actually traveling), sunshine, Sacramento, and perhaps our most shared passion of all: gelato. We’ve spent hours talking about everything from our careers to our relationships to our hopes and dreams for the future. We’ve helped each other establish writing contacts and job leads and friends in new cities. She has, quite literally, sent me snail mail from across the world on a regular basis.

Which, when I really stop to think about it, is what I love most about Christine. To me, Christine embodies what a true friend really looks like: she is intentional in pursuing our friendship. By that I mean, every single time she is in Sacramento, even if it’s just for a quick week, you can bet she’s e-mailing me to set up a gelato date. She was in town for a brief time this summer (post Thailand/pre-Croatia, I think?), but still found time to meet Everett and bring us a delicious home cooked meal (with the recipe handwritten on a card!). Even though we have often lived on different continents, and now live on opposite sides of the country, I would never hesitate to call Christine a friend. And not just a friend, a great friend.

Have you ever made a real life friend on Twitter?

This entry was posted in be, Transfer and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to we met on twitter before that was cool.

1. Bonnie f says:

Those are hands down the best kinds of friends!

2. Alli Moore says:

I think we met on Twitter too and I’m thankful for that 😉 I’m so happy we’ve become friends over the past (couple?) of years and it’s been so fun getting to know each other. I remember our date with Christine over gelato. Ah, Devine! Fun times ladies!

3. Nichole says:

Love this story of your friend. I can easily relate with you and your friend’s life as I’ve had the opportunity to be on both sides of the coin. In addition, I’ve met so many wonderful friends on line. Who would’ve thought it would ever be possible?
    Nichole´s last blog post ..Alive and Kicking

4. Shelley says:

This is so cute!!! What a sweet article. <3 xo

5. Claire says:

I am already emotional today and that made me a wreck! So sweet, I love it! xoxo
    Claire´s last blog post ..Sharing the Love

6. Jackie says:

Making new friends is just the best thing ever, in my opinion. And I love friends that are so intentional about your friendship. I hope I’m a friend like that.
    Jackie´s last blog post ..in between

7. Wow! Such a neat story…Christine is definitely inspirational. And perhaps the best part is that you have both kept in touch and made that commitment to your friendship.
    natasha {schue love}´s last blog post ..Street Style Shrimp Tacos

8. Jennifer says:

This is so great! As strange as it sounds, meeting people on the internet can be kind of great. My husband and I met on Match…wait for it…in 2003! Talk about ‘before it was cool.’ People thought we were nuts! It sounds like you have forged a really wonderful bond and the fact that you both make an effort (in my opinion) says a lot about your character. Here’s to making more online friendships!
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..A snap and a quote: from Grand Teton National Park

9. Vanessa says:

Those friends are hard to come by. Hold onto them! This was such a great read 🙂
    Vanessa´s last blog post ..Weekend Recap

10. Wonky73 says:

I found you through Christine’s blog two years ago. I don’t remember the exact details. I can confirm it because your blog is right below hers in my google reader. It’s odd that I decided so long ago to follow your blog. My reader is full of expats and travelers, yet smack in the middle of it sits your blog. I read one post and so liked the writing that I realized I wanted to here what you had to say. keep up the good work.

11. Olivia says:

I love this. Intentional friends are the best of friends and so hard to come by.
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Style House – [His&Hers] Engagement Party

12. Lesley says:

Now I’m wishing I was friends with Christine! She sounds super wonderful. Kelli and I met on Twitter soon after I joined, which means it was probably about four years ago now. We saw we had a lot in common, lived in the same neighborhood, and knew mutual friends from Santa Barbara. I definitely had a crush on her photography skills. We met at a coffee shop and got to know each other. It’s been love ever since. 🙂
    Lesley´s last blog post ..Start as you mean to go on

13. Christine says:

You’re way too sweet–and I’m pretty sure my ex-boyfriends would disagree with your description of me as “low-maintenance” 🙂 I love love LOVE this and everything about our friendship…and on that note, I just booked a ticket home for the holidays. Gelato date, please? (But Skype with Ev long before that!) xo
    Christine´s last blog post ..The little things I love about New York City

Puh-lease. Anyone who can travel as spontaneous and minimalistic as you do is considered low-maintenance in my book. Should we eat gelato while we skype? That would be awesome.

14. Yes I have meet a few people from twitter and they have been awesome. Its nice to finally meet someone you have been chatting with and realize that you had so much in common. I have Brandy, Karen, Jaime, patricia, Brenda, Lesley and many more from this area 🙂 I met you too but I don’t think you remember it .
    Julie@my5monkeys´s last blog post ..When Snow Falls Book Review

15. Becky says:

This is awesome. I have definitely made real friends from blogging – I’m so grateful for those women in my life.
    Becky´s last blog post ..Planning means peace of mind

Oh goodness, I love it! Such a sweet story! I met one of my very best friends through blogging… and it’s funny, because she is actually the one who introduced me to your blog too! I have had blog friends and “real” friends come and go, but this girl has always stuck around and been someone I could count on. I never would have imagined! =]
    Sarabell´s last blog post ..First Trimester Review

17. Liz says:

Love love loved this! I have met MANY friends through Twitter and blogging – especially here in Amsterdam and abroad. I’ve met up with bloggers in Ireland, Italy and Spain.. Crazy! But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Christine sounds fabulous and I love this story!

18. Briel K. says:

What a great story of how you became friends! I found Christine’s blog through one of your posts years ago and have been a fan ever since. She seems like a great friend and her travels are a real inspiration!

19. Pingback: Living with intention | C'est Christine

20. I think its a great place to meet new people and I love your story!

21. I love Christine! After reading her blog for months, we realized we were members of the same sorority and even had one mutual friend (her “grand-niece” in the sorority was my co-worker at a summer internship). We now follow each other on Twitter and ALMOST met in Georgia this summer. (Seriously, one hour after I left Macon she was posting Instagram photos from there.) The point of all this, though, is that I found your blog through her most recent post, and I’m so excited to start reading it now. So yes, I meet people on social media all the time! 🙂

22. Pingback: when home is always with you. | Where My Heart Resides

23. Pingback: What does it mean to have an intentional lifestyle? | C'est Christine

24. Pingback: Moving to & making it in New York City | C'est Christine