i am not a runner.

I am not a runner.

I’m what you would call a wannabe runner. That is, I desperately want to be a runner. I wish I could wear cute running shorts and get up early and run five miles before eating breakfast. I think the combination of wind flying through my hair and the sound of my shoes hitting the pavement would be the perfect start to any day.

Unfortunately, I hate running. And I hate that I hate running, but it’s the truth. One time I did the CIM relay with some friends and ran 6.3 miles. I trained for 8 weeks and felt so dang accomplished that I went home that very same day and signed up for a 10k. And then I ran two 5k races after that. I tried to love it. I told people I loved it. But really, I hated it.

To me, running is like eating vegetables. I know it’s good for my body and gives me energy and blah blah blah, but really, I’d rather just sit on my couch and eat a bag of cheetos instead. I have a moderate amount of self-discipline, but when it comes to exercising, I’m more of a yoga/Pilates type of girl.

That being said, I did something really dumb when I was pregnant. I signed up to run a 5k less than three months after Everett’s due date. I was like, ohmygosh what a GREAT idea! I will sign up for a race so I will HAVE to train and therefore lose all the baby weight and have my body back by August! Brilliant!

Not brilliant, Ashlee. Stupid. The word is stupid.

I have gone running exactly two times since I had Everett. Both times I barely ran one mile, and it was humbling, to say the least. Everything was just so….jiggly. And now it’s Thursday and the Color Run is on Saturday and I am sad to admit this but I am totally dreading it. Womp womp.

Are you a runner? Did you always love running, or is it an acquired taste, like brussel sprouts? (Also worth noting: I hate brussel sprouts.)

This entry was posted in be and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to i am not a runner.

1. I’m exactly the same. Perhaps we pass each other miserably running in the morning as well?

I’m doing the Color Run. But with friends/teammates who are walking. I’m taking my daughter… strolling her through most of the course and then letting her run through the color parts (she’s turning 2.5).

It’s not timed. You’ll have a blast! And don’t run hard, just try to enjoy it.

I really loved my half marathon – mainly due to all of the entertainment along the course. Running by yourself at 6am on the levy is… well… lonely and quiet. :)

Your daughter will have a BLAST. My babe will be waiting for us at the finish line with my MIL. I can’t wait to shower him with color kisses ;)

2. Megan Michelle says:

I did the Color Run in May and I hate running too. Luckily TONS of people just walk it. My husband and I ran for a very short while then walked and enjoyed it.

3. Amanda says:

I’m not a runner either Ashley! But I just did The Color Run a few weekends ago in San Francisco with a group of friends who were also not runners. There were a lot of people who were walking it. Some moms even had their babies in their front packs and would drape a towel across them when it came time to go through the color stations. It’s like one big party the entire 3 miles. :)
    Amanda´s last blog post ..Birthday!

4. Jamee Sims says:

I too ran the CIM relay (6.3. as well) and tried so hard to love it like the other gals I ran with but I cant. I have finally come to terms that its not for me and frankly, I think its boring! I keep my CIM medal near my makeup basket so I see it everyday in the hopes I can change butttt for now…I’m sticking with weights, my beach cruiser and yoga too.
    Good luck on Saturday. I heard its not a “serious runners race” so you should be fine!

Best,
    J

5. Jasmine says:

Brussels sprouts are the worst. So is running.

6. bobbi says:

First, have FUN on Saturday! It seems like such a fun event, so walk, run, crawl, whatever, you’ll have a great time!

Second, running is not everyone’s most favorite activity ever, and it really doesn’t have to be! I ran competitively for upwards of 10 years and I wavered between loving it with my whole heart, hating it but liking the adrenalin rush, hating it but liking winning, and being frustrated with it and giving it up entirely. I’ve found that the times that I love it {thankfully I’m in one of those now}, I get there by getting into a mindset that removes the pressure from myself. If I think, “oh my god I’m runnnninggggg god help me whyyyy?” I don’t have a good time and I stop. If I just get up and do it, focus on the music or what’s around me, I never regret it and it becomes a wonderful and calming outlet.

I think running means different things to different people. It can be an emotional or physical payoff. If it doesn’t tickle you and you don’t have to run, you should find something that is more fulfilling for you. And, if all else fails, a great playlist helps :)

Sorry for the rambling! Good luck on Saturday!
    bobbi´s last blog post ..the wizarding world of harry potter.

You’re right about the playlist. When I have good music on my ipod I do tend to enjoy it more. Well, “enjoy” is probably not the right word, more like “tolerate” ;)

7. Lisa says:

I swear, Dan and I had this convo this morning! I HATE running, but really need to! I can relate to your entire post. I know it is good for me like the vegetables I force myself to eat (especially since I am making my son eat them!). Between having two kids close together and now being in my 30′s! I need to do something and really hope I will learn to like running… Good luck Saturday!

PS…I love seeing you in your new role as a mother! I always knew you would be a wonderful mom!

Thanks Lisa! Madilyn is just the sweetest. I hope you and Dan are doing well and having fun adjusting to life with two little ones! I’m sure it’s crazy and wonderful.

8. Kelli Murray says:

You are completely speaking my language. I have always wanted to be a runner, but no matter how hard I try…..I hate it every time. I think it’s ok to hate it though and stick to what you like….weather it be yoga or just “brisk” walks with your little guy. I just finally gave in and got a membership at the YMCA, regardless of how much I hate gyms, in hopes of getting back into shape (nearly a year after my daughters birth)! Don’t be too hard on yourself!
    Kelli Murray´s last blog post ..5 WAYS TO STYLE SOCKS

I just got a membership at our city rec center too! They offer a lot of classes, which I like. I mean, 60 minutes in a cardio lift class is probably BETTER than running, right? Right.

9. jackie says:

i have a love/hate relationship with it. i’m a college swimmer and run a lot in the off season when i’m sick of swimming. i love how running makes me feel and i usually enjoy the running when i’m in the right frame of mind or have a good playlist or good scenery. that being said, i try to do my runs early in the morning (like six am) so that by the time i’m actually awake i’m already two miles from my house and have no choice but to run back. also i didn’t do the color run (wanted to but it was too late to sign up when i found out about it) but i heard it’s SO much fun! xo
    jackie´s last blog post ..lucky number seven

That’s the trick to doing longer runs….you have to run far away from your house so you have no choice but to run back. It’s easy to give up on laps around the park! I will say I DO prefer to run first thing in the morning. But waking up at 6:00am is extra hard when you’re also up at 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30 with a crying baby. #excusesexcuses

10. Sig says:

Ha! I so get you…I have a love-hate relationship with running too and it doesn’t help that I get injured every time I try so I’ve kinda associated pain with running too :P That being said, there is nothing like when you get out there and actually MOVE. It really is the feeling of the wind in your hair, the time to be quiet with your thoughts and the results you do see in the way your body looks and feels.

It takes time I think to get into it, but that being said, if you really don’t like it – don’t force it. There are many ways of getting into shape by doing things you actually enjoy. Don’t let the pressure of “being a runner” do something you don’t like. THAT is definitely not worth it, especially when time to yourself is precious these days.

I actually just posted on tips on for beginner runners (even after years of running, I still consider myself a beginner!) – check them out – it might help with your training and perhaps long-term goals to stick with running.

All the best!
    Sig´s last blog post ..What do you suck at?

11. heather t. says:

I love the way I FEEL when I am DONE running, and when I hit a good song on my mix and can bop along to it. But man! I have poor poor running endurance! I so want to be a runner. Maybe one day…
    heather t.´s last blog post ..Anthro.

12. Mel says:

This is so me!! I want to love it. My husband runs 5 miles out of nowhere, after going a week or two without running at all. I’m so jealous. I wish I could be that person!
    Mel´s last blog post ..A fantastic weekend…

13. Becca says:

Ashlee, don’t even worry about the color run! I just did one in San Francisco…It’s a blast and feels more like a party than anything else! I am a runner, and enjoy running (sometimes) and ran the whole way, but SO many others were walking! Hope you have fun!
    Becca´s last blog post ..A happy list.

14. Natalie says:

I am with you Ashlee! Have you tried Turbo Kick or Tracy Anderson Method dance cardio? Fun ways to get in some cardio without having to pound the pavement.
    Natalie´s last blog post ..5 THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND

15. Briel K. says:

I’m like you in that I wish I were a runner but I hate it too! I have way less discipline than you though and don’t really even try to do it. I want to try yoga and pilates but can’t really afford to do it at a gym and I’m not sure which dvd’s would be good to try.

I don’t know where you live but a LOT of yoga studios offer good trials, like two weeks for $20, etc. I have done trials at almost every studio in my town….you can do yoga for six months like that if you hop around to different studios! Most studios (at least in my city) also offer “karma classes” which are donation based. You can pay anywhere from $5-10 to do those classes. I love love LOVE yoga and highly recommend it, both for the physical and emotional aspect.

16. kylee says:

i’m the same. i hate running, and i also hate that i hate it. i continuously tell myself that i’m going to learn to love it but i never give myself the chance (couch with a treat over running anyday). i participated in the color run that my state did (only i was a paint/chalk thrower not a runner)! i’m excited for you!
    kylee´s last blog post ..an outfit before i leave

17. Gina says:

I’m so jealous you’re doing The Color Run! I tried to sign up too late. :P

Have a great time on Saturday. I’m sure even if you walk the whole 5K, you’ll still have fun.
    Gina´s last blog post ..Baby Fever

18. robyn says:

i would compare it more to coffee-you make yourself drink it as a student as you know it will keep you awake…

i am a runner…sometimes!

good for you!even if you walk part
    robyn´s last blog post ..Where is the world is Kenya?

19. Lindsey says:

I’m in the process of becoming a runner as well, and I feel exactly how you do! I know it’s good for me, and I feel good after I do it, but I dread it everytime. Like you, I would much rather sit on the couch with chips! The worst part is that my husband has gotten to the point where he’ll jump up and say “I need to go for a run!” and I just give him a blank stare.

Good luck at your race!
    Lindsey´s last blog post ..Now what?

I am familiar with that blank stare. True story: as I was writing this post, my husband (who didn’t know what I was typing), turns to me and says, “Do you want to go for a run in the morning?” I flipped my laptop around so he could see the title of my post and we both burst out laughing. And no, we did NOT go for a run the next morning.

20. Christine says:

I try to trick myself into loving running with cute neon shorts and sunrise-by-the-beach running dates with a girlfriend but really…I hate it too. And I think that’s OK. I’d take a yoga or Pilates class ANY DAY and I think that’s just as much–if not more–of a good thing to do for my body. That being said, I’m subletting a place a few blocks from Central Park and I’m really going to pretend to be a runner until I get a job and can afford a gym membership. And it’s the Color Run–that looks like so much fun!!! Best of luck lady–and p.s. brussel sprouts, totally an acquired taste, but once you have them excellently cooked–you’ll never look back!
    Christine´s last blog post ..The risk of wanting to make it

Let’s be real. If I lived across the street from Central Park I would TOTALLY BE A RUNNER. Just so I could tell people, “Yeah, I ran five miles through Central Park this morning, NBD.”

Also, I think you are going to meet your future husband on a run in Central Park. I just have a feeling….

21. Sophie says:

Don’t dread the color run! It will be so much fun that you will forget you’re even running 3 miles!

I am a sort of runner. I, too, know the benefits for my body and my mind. I know that it gives me more energy and all that jazz. But I just found it so hard to be consistant. I’d run once and it would feel great and then I wouldn’t go again for 2 weeks. I had always wanted to run a half marathon but never thought I could do it. I was in a bit of a rut and decided why not? So, I signed up and got myself a training program. I told everyone and their neighbor I signed up for this race, so that I would be held accountable and not able to skip out. So now, when my alarm goes off, I have some motivation and accountability. So far, it’s going really well! I feel antsy when I don’t run and my body is doing things I never thought it could. I had never run more than 5 miles before, and truly didn’t think I could do anymore. Lo and behold, I’m finding the longer runs are easier for me. Runner’s high kicks in and I can go for days. I think the hardest thing I had to get over was being comfortable with my own pace. I used to be an athlete in high school, but gone are the days of running a 7 minute mile like it’s no big deal. Now, I just have the attitude that I’m going to run however fast my body will let me go, and I’m pleased to say it’s not as slow as I thought it was.

Moral of the story — don’t doubt yourself! You can do it! And, cut yourself a little slack, new momma :)
    Sophie´s last blog post ..64.16

Accountability is a HUGE part of being a successful runner I think. If I had a running buddy, I would probably do it more often. I meet one of my friends twice a week to walk with our babies at the park and I NEVER miss a date because I know she’s counting on me to be there. I tried to make Brett my accountability partner but that was a total failure. We’re both so tired in the morning, it’s easy to look at each other and roll our eyes and hit the snooze button. Or, lately, put the pacifier back in Everett’s mouth (the new parents’ version of the snooze button).

22. Heather says:

Me = not a runner. Husband = runner. Seriously, he can outrun me without even trying. Maybe its those USMC legs obtained from running 20+ miles with a 50 lbs pack on his back. Regardless, me = not a runner. I do it though because its something him and I can do together. We do road races together where he signs up for the 10k and I sign up for the 5k. It hasnt happened yet but I know it will – the race where he runs twice the distance as me and still crosses the finish first.

One bit of encouragement – he did the Color Run here and there were so many walkers he couldn’t run full speed. So maybe it will turn out to be a good idea since you’ll get the satisfaction on running a 5k post baby but you wont be killing yourself running full out. Silver lining?!

Just keep this in mind – as I do when I’m running at my slow 10 minute mile pase –
    “no matter how slow you run you are lapping everyone on the couch” – no idea who said that but they are a genius in my book and oh SO right.

23. Erin says:

i am not a runner either. and i’m not sorry about. not the least bit. (and it’s so hard on your body!) give me spinning, yoga, pilates, anything but running! i do, however, like brussel sprouts :)

24. kiki says:

Running! The debate for the ages. I have to say, running hard and fast sucks. But taking your time and enjoying yourself can be super relaxing. When it starts to suck, just slow down. It’s not a race when you’re doing it for fitness. And tell yourself, it only gets easier, not harder. It’s worth it for those days when all the stars align. You’re not tired, or hurt, just flying along high on adrenaline :)

25. diana says:

It sounds crazy but I’m not much of a runner, but I truly believe our bodies were made to run. It’s a form of therapy I would love to do more often. The funniest thing ever- when I was at my heaviest, no joke, I didn’t really know what to wear to run (or how to), so I had on a regular bra. Within getting down the street, I hit myself with my floppy waving arm, and I swear Ashlee, I could have sworn my boob hit me in the face.
    So maybe our bodies are made to run, but you have to train them to get there, ha!

Best to you on Saturday. I think you’ll have a blast.
    diana´s last blog post ..August Break

Oh Diana. Normally I would not be able to relate to this comment, but let me just tell you – running while breastfeeding is RIDICULOUS. I have to wear two sports bras and I swear I look like Pamela Anderson running on the beach. The two times I have gone running since having Everett I was literally HOLDING my boobs while I ran, stopping only when I saw a car coming or a neighbor in their front yard. It was awful. I don’t know how girls with big boobs exercise at all.

26. Michelle says:

I actually AM a runner, the way you feel about running, I feel about pilates and yoga. Running is way more exciting/purposeful than those types of workouts. But I guess that’s what makes the world great, different strokes for different folks, right?
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Olympics Link Love – Part 2

27. Corinne says:

I’m the same! I’m totally a wanna-be runner too. I go through bursts of activity, but basically I’m just not a runner! Good luck with the run :)

Life etc
    Corinne´s last blog post ..Italy Part 3: Favourites

28. Kate says:

oh i can totally relate…i WANT to like running, i TRY to like running. it just doesn’t happen. i also signed up for the color run (in philly)…month and months before the race. but i didn’t start training until 8 weeks before it…i ran the whole thing, but let me tell you it was NOT easy! if it makes you feel better a lot of people did walk it, or run/walk it. i know running is one of the best workouts, and really all you need is a pair of sneakers and an ipod…i know i just need to commit to it for a few months and i’ll probably like it eventually, but i don’t think my motivation is there yet! :)
    Kate´s last blog post ..Olympics: All Day, Every Day

29. It would be wonderful to be one of those people keeping track of how many hundreds of miles they run in a year, but I’m just not. However, the Color Run seems like it is more of a care free race for people with all sorts of feelings towards running. At least you will get great pictures from it!
    Aspiring Kennedy´s last blog post ..Heads or Tails? Karl Lagerfield vs Pippa

30. Lottie says:

i hate running but really wish i liked it. i just don’t get why you run soemwhere when you know you have to come back–that is probably me being lazy right?

but like you i love the idea of it. when i see women out there in their running gear looking all sporty and athletic i wish i was like them. i would give it another go but sadly i am pregant…shame…not ;)
    Lottie´s last blog post ..dorset.

Ha! I walked a LOT while I was pregnant. If you have an iphone there is an app called Map My Run and you can actually track your walks, too. It was fun to see how many miles I walked while I was pregnant!

31. Olivia says:

I’m still working on loving running. It’s very disciplined. and I struggle with that.
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Fiesta… via Instagram

32. Amy says:

I ran a 5K on Sunday thinking it would be a fun “family” (read: our black lab is our pseudo child) activity. I haven’t run in a very long time and today I am totally paying for it; stiff & sore, I hobbled into work in my heels and pencil skirt. My hubby just picked up running this year and totally rocks at it, looks great/feels great, has become a fleet feet groupie, did his first triathalon a month ago, you get the idea. I would love to ‘love’ running, but for now, I think I’ll stick with what makes me happy: zumba and kickboxing. Or, as least I’ll start slow with the couch-to-5k app until I can run and not be a wreck the following day. :)

Oh dear. I hate that my husband (who is NOT a runner) can outrun me on any given day without trying. It’s annoying. I have never tried zumba or kickboxing, but maybe I should give them a go. I think my gym has both of those classes!

33. Pingback: a typical morning looking for lice. | Where My Heart Resides