an open letter to my husband on our five year anniversary.

(because he deserves a little bit of public praise once in a while)

B,

Five years ago today, we became husband and wife. At 25 and 21, we were just a couple of kids madly in love. We didn’t know a lot back then, but we knew one thing for certain: we belonged together. And now, half a decade later, I can say with absolute certainty that the past five years have been the best of my entire life. I’m only 26 so maybe that’s not saying very much, but I mean it all the same.

I don’t tell you this as often as I should, but I love being your wife. In fact, I’m proud to be your wife. You continue to amaze me year after year with your ability to selflessly love me. Like just a few weeks ago when you left a whole bowl of uneaten cereal on the counter because we only had enough milk for one. You left for work without breakfast so I could still enjoy mine. Or like the time you gave me money from your cash envelope so I could get a pedicure after I spent my entire budget on who knows what. Or like just yesterday when you willingly woke up at 5:00am to go to work early so you could be home by 6:00 to watch Everett while I went out for the night.

You would do anything for me. You put up with me and my shenanigans, day in and day out. You even put up with me while I was pregnant for nine months, and for that, you deserve more than a blog post, you deserve a trophy.

You have supported me for five years through three jobs, and were always the first person to tell me to quit when I wasn’t happy. You were the one telling me “you can” when I didn’t think I could, the one telling me “you will” when I didn’t think I would. You have supported my writing, my photography, and every other tiny venture I’ve taken on, all without blinking an eye or making me feel guilty once. I would not be where I am today, doing what I’m doing, chasing dreams, without you. That is a fact. You have been my rock, my coach in the corner, and my daily encouragement for five whole years. Thank you for believing in me, and for helping me believe in myself.

We’re on a new adventure now, you and I, and there’s nobody I’d rather be learning with than you. I love watching you with Everett, how sweet and attentive you are with him, calling him “goo-bear” and always being worried about every little thing.

You’re an amazing dad, and an even better husband, which is saying a lot. Our marriage is far from perfect, but I honestly believe it’s getting better and better with each passing day. Thank you for loving me the way that you do. Cheers to the second half of this decade, and many many more to come. I love you, Brett Gadd. Always have, always will.

-A

This entry was posted in love and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to an open letter to my husband on our five year anniversary.

You are just so inspiring Ashlee. Every single post gives me something I can keep in my heart and use later. Thank you for that.
    I’m sure Brett knows he’s very lucky to have you too! =]
    Sarabell´s last blog post ..Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Sunscreen, Macaroons & Mystic Lake

2. Michelle says:

Congrats Ashlee and Brett, I love your letter, very heartfelt, honest, and sweet. Happy Anniversary!
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Olympic Memories

3. jackie says:

This is the sweetest thing. Thank god for husbands like these. Happy anniversary you guys!
    jackie´s last blog post ..guest post diaries: Megan

4. Paulette Hawes says:

Dearest Ashlee and Brett –

Wow! Where did five years go? It seems like we were just planning your wedding and now you are celebrating your five year anniversary! Congratulations!

We love you,
    Mom and Dad

5. Alli Moore says:

Beautifully written Ashlee! You and Brett are lucky to have each other ;) Cheers to really great (patient) men!

6. Lisamarie says:

Ohhh… this is just so sweet. Last month my husband gave me some of his saved money so that I, too, could get a pedicure. It was the sweetest thing – not ever – but in that moment. Nothing better in the world than having a loving husband. Maybe having a loving baby would be better, but I am not at that point yet! Congrats to you both on 5 years!

7. Katie says:

This is so sweet. Happy Anniversary to you and Brett!
    Katie´s last blog post ..tissues and hair dye

8. Joslin says:

This is so sweet! Happy Anniversary!
    Joslin´s last blog post ..Home by 5? Yeah right!

9. Becky says:

What an incredible post – happy anniversary you two!
    Becky´s last blog post ..For me

10. Tiera says:

The sweetest thing I’ve read in a while <3 Happy anniversary, you two!

11. Kate says:

this is so sweet, sounds like you’ve got a good one there. happy anniversary! :)
    Kate´s last blog post ..Weekly (Bi-Weekly?) Series: 12 Weeks

12. Lottie says:

Congratulations!

and this letter is beautiful–i now have a lump in my throat.
    Lottie´s last blog post ..afternoon tea

13. Brett says:

an open comment to my wife ….

Thanks for planning yet another awesome anniversary celebration last weekend. I may give up a bowl of honey clusters for you but you’ve basically given up a good chunk of your life to raise our son. Pretty sure you win that one.

Love you.

14. Michael Burnett says:

after reading this I wrote:
    To my lovely Nanette, After more than 19 years of Marriage, I love you more than ever. I am proud to be by your side,always, everywhere and all the time. And, I am extra proud to be your Husband. You are the most kind, unselfish, faithful and loyal Woman I have ever met. I am ever thankful for our chance meeting. Happy Anniversary.
    Michael O.
    Thanks Ashlee

15. Bolanle says:

This is an amazing write up.
    I wish one can say same for all the men.

16. Rizza says:

Hi, can I copy some of your letters? I just get some ideas from the words you used. This May 18, 2013 will be our 5th anniversary. Thanks and God bless your family.

17. careenleyla says:

congratulations to you guys,happy anniversary