we are the three percent.

Did you know that 3% of babies are breech at the end of pregnancy?

And, did you know that 3% of babies develop hernias?

Brett and I noticed a bulge on Everett’s groin yesterday and immediately made a doctor’s appointment. Five hours later I heard our pediatrician say two terrible words in one sentence: hernia and surgery.

Naturally, I started sobbing. Typical new mom, and I’m not even sorry about it. Yes, it’s a simple, outpatient procedure. Yes, it’s fairly common (well, you decide – is 3% common??). Yes, he will get it fixed and most likely be totally fine afterwards. But, that doesn’t change the fact that my baby needs surgery. SURGERY. Where they put him under anesthesia and cut into his little baby skin and hook him up to what I’m assuming is a teeny tiny IV.

He’s my baby. And he NEEDS SURGERY. It’s scary.

I know God will carry us through it, but your extra prayers are most certainly appreciated. We have a consultation appointment next Thursday, and will hopefully get the surgery scheduled for the following week. In the meantime, I’ll be giving this little guy all the cuddles and kisses he can handle…

On the bright side, at least we’ll have matching scars for a while. We are such badasses.

This entry was posted in love, Transfer and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to we are the three percent.

1. Margarita says:

Oh my goodness! I will be sending my prayers to you and your family. It’s so so difficult when your child has to get surgery done, but be brave. It will be harder on you than the baby. 🙂
    Margarita´s last blog post ..Inspirational Breastfeeding Photo

Praying hard! My cousin had a hernia and his mother taped a quarter to it. He wound up never needing the surgery. He’s nine now and still hasn’t had any complications with it. I pray you’ll have the same luck!
    Sarabell´s last blog post ..Casper Recreation Center

3. Abbey says:

Praying your little guy makes it through the surgery just fine and praying that God gives you strength to get through it, too. Just try to remember he’s so little he won’t even remember it!
    Abbey´s last blog post ..Here’s what’s making me smile this Thursday…

4. jackie says:

oh no i am so sorry. i am praying hard for you but I know he will be okay! xo
    jackie´s last blog post ..summer essentials: food

5. Rebecca says:

I had a hernia when I was little and Everett’s cousin Cameron had a double hernia and had surgery too. It must be something that runs in the family. Sending prayers & hugs!!!

6. Mitzie says:

Sweet Parents of Baby Everett!
    This is so scary for you! My being a pediatric nurse knows that this surgery is fairly simple and without complications. Your sweet little boy will be fine. As his Mimi and your mother/ in law, I can hardly imagine the anxiety you are feeling. My mind says all will be fine; my heart is reaching to all of you! You two are the most awesome parents baby Ev could have. Your love and your faith in God will get you through. Love you so much. Take all the love, support and prayers that are pouring out to you!

7. Samantha Jo says:

Poor little man! Sending my prayers your way for an easy, breezy surgery and strength for mommy!
    Samantha Jo´s last blog post ..30 Weeks!

8. Lottie says:

matching scars will deifnitely be badass.

and don’t worry about crying, i would have cried too–but i am sure it will be all be fine 🙂
    Lottie´s last blog post ..a day at the races.

9. Michelle says:

I could sit here and give you my pediatric nurse opinion but I’m not (Mitzi said it all). Because all I want to say is I will pray for you and Everette. God will give you all the strength to get through this. Stay blessed.
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Big Sur Weekend

10. Sarah W says:

Just wanted to let you know that I was born with a hernia and I never had surgery. I’m now a very healthy 35-year-old woman.

But mine is in the middle of my abdomen just above my belly button. That may have been the reason surgery wasn’t needed. I’d have to ask my parents.

Sending prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery! Your baby boy is gorgeous!

11. Paulette Hawes says:

Dear Ashlee & Brett –

Be thankful that you noticed this issue right away and that at this moment it is not causing Everett any problems or discomfort. I am sure the next couple of weeks will be long and there will be worry and prayerful moments. And when the surgery is over and sweet baby Everett is back in your arms, we will all breathe a sign of relief and give a thankful prayer.

Love you all, Mom

12. diana says:

Keep us updated. On paper it’s so simple but when you are living the experience it is terrifying.
    diana´s last blog post ..On Finding Yourself…30,000 ft in the air

13. Helen says:

Oh no ! So sorry to read that 🙁
    I will pray for little Everett to be safe !

14. Lisamarie says:

Oh no!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and the baby!

15. suzy says:

hoping & praying all is well…
    suzy´s last blog post ..{rosie and the ccc}

16. Erica says:

i has a hernia removed when I was a few weeks old. Try not to stress too much. He should be fine.

17. Kristi says:

I’m hoping for a stress fee surgery and a speedy recovery for the little guy.