guilty pleasures.

{ afternoon snack on our last day in Santorini }

There comes a point in pregnancy where you’re ready for it to be over. You’re sick of squeezing into clothes that don’t fit, tired of not being able to put on your socks, annoyed with the strangers staring at you, etc. I’m not quite there yet, but I can feel myself getting close. Every day that passes is getting harder and harder physically. I’m getting bigger, slower, more irritable, and more emotional. I know. Poor Brett.

I’m trying to cope as best I can, and have decided to give myself permission to indulge in some guilty pleasures over the next four weeks as I become more and more uncomfortable. Some of these are new guilty pleasures, and some I’ve been enjoying for the past month or two without remorse. Either way, I truly believe the last month of pregnancy should be a designated “Treat Yo Self” month, filled with guilty pleasures such as:

1. Strolling through Target with a small bag of popcorn and a cherry Icee, leaving an accidental trail of kernels in the picture frame aisle. (The first time I did this, a piece of popcorn fell out of my bra three hours later when I was changing into my pjs. True story.)

2. Pedicures. I cannot put on my socks or shoes unsupervised, let alone attend to my toenails. Brett was willing to share some money from his cash envelopes last month to make sure my feet were well taken care of. What a keeper.

3. Planting vegetables in the backyard on a sunny day, Pandora blasting, drinking a tall glass of ice cold root beer. It’s the simple things in life.

4. Spending 45 uninterrupted minutes at the gym, waddling on the treadmill watching One Tree Hill on my iPad. Speaking of which, I had never seen a single episode of OTH until this week and I am totally hooked. People at the gym probably think I’m a knocked up teenager the way I’m oogling Chad Michael Murray. Sigh.

5. Savoring a cup of piping hot Starbucks Via mocha in the morning. On the couch. In my pjs. Reading Real Simple. It just doesn’t get much better than that.

6. Naps. That is all.

7. Cookie dough ice cream with crumbled mint milanos on top. I know I’ll probably be on some annoying lose-the-baby-weight diet this summer but for now? It’s ice cream every night of the week. Baby needs calcium.

8. Cleaning and nesting; nesting and cleaning. A few months ago I stocked up on two Living Social deals—one for window washing and one for carpet cleaning. I also convinced Brett that part of our tax refund needs to be spent on a house cleaning service the week before our due date. My inner Monica Gellar is beyond stoked that in the next four weeks we will have clean windows, clean carpets, and clean EVERYTHING before the baby comes. Happy wife = happy life.

and finally….something I have not had done since last October….

9. EYEBROW WAXING. It’s time. I don’t know what cash envelope it’s going to come out of, but I will find a way. Mark my words.

What’s your favorite guilty pleasure?

This entry was posted in be and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to guilty pleasures.

1. Christine says:

I just found out my mom ate almost ice cream every day of her pregnancy–NO WONDER I’m so obsessed with it now. Just be prepared to be spoiled baby Gadd with lots of gelato once he’s a grown-up too :)
    Christine´s last blog post ..Going to the hard places

2. Holly says:

I ate ice cream every night for the last month of my pregnancy. My son is almost two and ice cream is his favourite treat :)

3. Alli Moore says:

So many things to say, but I’ll start here: 1. You know you’re with a keeper when they let you borrow (HAVE) from their cash envelopes. I can totally relate! 2. Isn’t OTH the best! I love when I find shows on Netflix with lots of seasons. I spent many work-from-home days with OTH in the background. 3. You can’t go wrong with pedicures and ice cream – ooohhhh, this would be a great business idea!

Enjoy this last month. I can’t believe Baby Gadd is almost here. Time flies!

It was pretty much the sweetest thing he had done for me in a while. He sacrificed his monthly haircut so I could get a pedicure, ha.

And seriously, I feel like a teenager watching this show, but I don’t even care. Between the pregnancy insomnia and gym time, I needed to find a show with a LOT of episodes. Be still my heart, Lucas Scott.

4. Karina says:

I LOVE guilty pleasures… except I call them simple pleasures. It makes me feel less guilty about having them! ;) One of mine is a long hot hot bath and either a good book, or relaxing music and candles… ahhh Heaven in the bathroom. :) Or eating peanut butter by the spoonful from the jar while watching sappy TLC tv shows.

– I don’t mean to be a naggy person, or someone who feels like they need to give advice, so you can completely ignore this next comment if you want, but I had no idea until someone told me! (You might already know and already have plans to take care of it anyway!) –

Be careful having the carpets cleaned and having a newborn. There are lots of studies that have been done that show the harmful chemicals and gasses that are released from getting the carpets cleaned! They strongly suggest not having any infants around for several days after getting them cleaned, especially if the children will be near the carpet (tummy time!). There are ways to go around this, so I just wanted to urge you to look into those before cleaning the carpets! It might actually be more harmful than just having dirty carpet.

Again, sorry to be a Debbie-Downer-Advice-Giving -Person when advice is the last thing most new parents want, but I had no idea until someone had told me, and I thought I’d pass it along!

Good luck in these last few weeks! Enjoy the guilty pleasures!

Hi Karina,

Thanks for the advice. We are getting our carpets cleaned a few weeks before my due date, and assuming he doesn’t come early (which I highly doubt), that will be a non-issue. Thanks for looking out ;)

5. Jen says:

Sign up for those housecleaners after the baby too! You should not have to chose over cleaning a toilet and savoring your new baby ;)

6. Jo(ke) says:

I posted about the exact same thing this morning. Weird. In any case, my number one guilty pleasure is reading blogs!

7. Becky says:

Haha love these – and I totally say “happy wife, happy life” too! I’m pumped about your cleaning stuff too! (And a little jealous).

Guilty pleasure: Watching ABC Family’s “make it or break it” show. The acting is horrendous (hellooo, ABC Family), but I was a gymnast when I was younger so I’m a sucker for anything gymanstics-related.
    Becky´s last blog post ..April showers bring May sparkles

8. Kate says:

This sounds fabulous. Also, I have every season of One Tree Hill on DVD if you want to borrow…. ;)
    Kate´s last blog post ..How infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy…

9. Michelle says:

Now i’m wondering if I need to be pregnant to indulge in all of these guilty pleasures as well! :)
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Weeknight Baking

10. Faith says:

The honesty in your posts is awesome. The popcorn kernel incident made me laugh! Hope that these last few weeks are thoroughly relaxing!
    Faith´s last blog post ..Good morning