There comes a point in pregnancy where you’re ready for it to be over. You’re sick of squeezing into clothes that don’t fit, tired of not being able to put on your socks, annoyed with the strangers staring at you, etc. I’m not quite there yet, but I can feel myself getting close. Every day that passes is getting harder and harder physically. I’m getting bigger, slower, more irritable, and more emotional. I know. Poor Brett.
I’m trying to cope as best I can, and have decided to give myself permission to indulge in some guilty pleasures over the next four weeks as I become more and more uncomfortable. Some of these are new guilty pleasures, and some I’ve been enjoying for the past month or two without remorse. Either way, I truly believe the last month of pregnancy should be a designated “Treat Yo Self” month, filled with guilty pleasures such as:
1. Strolling through Target with a small bag of popcorn and a cherry Icee, leaving an accidental trail of kernels in the picture frame aisle. (The first time I did this, a piece of popcorn fell out of my bra three hours later when I was changing into my pjs. True story.)
2. Pedicures. I cannot put on my socks or shoes unsupervised, let alone attend to my toenails. Brett was willing to share some money from his cash envelopes last month to make sure my feet were well taken care of. What a keeper.
3. Planting vegetables in the backyard on a sunny day, Pandora blasting, drinking a tall glass of ice cold root beer. It’s the simple things in life.
4. Spending 45 uninterrupted minutes at the gym, waddling on the treadmill watching One Tree Hill on my iPad. Speaking of which, I had never seen a single episode of OTH until this week and I am totally hooked. People at the gym probably think I’m a knocked up teenager the way I’m oogling Chad Michael Murray. Sigh.
5. Savoring a cup of piping hot Starbucks Via mocha in the morning. On the couch. In my pjs. Reading Real Simple. It just doesn’t get much better than that.
6. Naps. That is all.
7. Cookie dough ice cream with crumbled mint milanos on top. I know I’ll probably be on some annoying lose-the-baby-weight diet this summer but for now? It’s ice cream every night of the week. Baby needs calcium.
8. Cleaning and nesting; nesting and cleaning. A few months ago I stocked up on two Living Social deals—one for window washing and one for carpet cleaning. I also convinced Brett that part of our tax refund needs to be spent on a house cleaning service the week before our due date. My inner Monica Gellar is beyond stoked that in the next four weeks we will have clean windows, clean carpets, and clean EVERYTHING before the baby comes. Happy wife = happy life.
and finally….something I have not had done since last October….
9. EYEBROW WAXING. It’s time. I don’t know what cash envelope it’s going to come out of, but I will find a way. Mark my words.
What’s your favorite guilty pleasure?