how i know brett will be a good dad.

ASHLEE GADD MATERNITY-158We had just sat down at a table at Marilyn’s, excited for the Tyrone Wells concert to start. I was wearing a little blue tunic, leggings, and my favorite black boots—feeling slightly cuter than my usual 8.5 month pregnant self. Despite the giant belly bump grazing the edge of our table, it felt like a real date. I smiled at Brett and told him I wanted to splurge on a fancy drink, like a diet cherry coke. He ordered one for each of us.

The opening act started and I moved my chair closer to Brett’s, grabbing his hand under the table.

“Are you okay?” he asked me.

“Yes….why?”

He looked at my belly, concerned.

“Do you think it’s too loud in here for him?”

I laughed. “No. He’s pretty well insulated.”

For the remainder of the concert I caught him stealing peeks at my belly, his eyes full of worry. I kept smiling, reassuring him that the baby was dancing and having a great time at his first concert.

Two hours later we walked out into the crisp cool air, raving about the show and laughing at the memory of the drunk cougar’s awesome dance moves. As we crossed K Street, Brett looked at my belly once again with anxious eyes.

“I’m just REALLY worried about his ears right now.”

I smiled.

….and that my friends, is how I know Brett will be a good dad.

On a related note, please enjoy this short video of Tyrone yodeling. Yes, I said yodeling…

This entry was posted in love and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to how i know brett will be a good dad.

1. Holly says:

Aww 🙂 My husband practiced diapering a stuffed dog to prepare for fatherhood. He also practiced putting the dog in the carseat … he’s an awesome dad 🙂

2. Jackie says:

That may just be the cutest thing I’ve ever heard!

3. Amanda says:

How cute! I’m %110 positive he will be one of the best dads out there.

My mom went to a Santana concert the night before she had me. She actaully started having contractions at the concert, just minor ones. The next day at 4:20pm I made my arrival. Good thing Brett didn’t know this story, he would have had the directions to the hospital mapped out on his phone im sure. <3

4. Lottie says:

He is already being a great dad and the baby isn’t born yet.

So cute–bet the baby was loving the music.
    Lottie´s last blog post ..I am going to talk Hunger Games

5. Lindsey says:

I love this so much! I’m excited to see how my fiance acts when I get pregnant. I have a feeling it’s going to be just like this, and I can’t wait!

6. Allie says:

Love Tyrone Wells! And this story is just too precious 🙂
    Allie´s last blog post ..Once

7. Jasmine says:

You guys are so cute! Ashley, I love that you love Tyrone Wells! He sings Give Me One Reason with my friend Jason Reeves. Can’t wait for Tyrone to come to Iowa City and can’t wait to see pictures of your little guy!

8. Paulette Hawes says:

This is so sweet! And so Brett! We always said when you started dating Brett “he’s a keeper!”

We love you both, Mom aka Brett’s Mother-in-Law

9. Liz Denfeld says:

ok, this is truly the cutest thing I’ve ever heard!!! totally made me smile. what a cutie he is!!

10. Lesley says:

🙂 Should Brett still be concerned, please tell him that Jonathan went so far to ASK JOE if the baby’s hearing would be okay because we were going someplace loud. Joe said it would be 100% fine. So far, Anna can hear so I think he was right but only time will tell.

And yes, Brett will be a great dad.
    Lesley´s last blog post ..Understanding

Why does that not surprise me? I will always think of Jonathan as the guy who instructed me not to let Anna get water in her ears during bathtime.

Him and Brett were meant to be (overprotective) friends.