on loving quiet and hating cantaloupe.

“A happy life must be to a great extent a quiet life, for it is only in an atmosphere of quiet that true joy dare live.”
-Bertrand Russell

I’m feeling extra quiet this week. I’m not sure why. I suppose I’m tired and busy and tired of being busy. I sat down today to write and there was nothing. No words. No thoughts. Nothing worth sharing. I put my pen to paper but it was too forced and I hate that more than I hate anything. Even more than I hate cantaloupe. Yes, I hate cantaloupe. My mother-in-law prepared a fruit salad yesterday and kept the cantaloupe separate. It’s one of the reasons I know she loves me. She put the melon slices in their own little bowl so none of the juice would come into contact with the other, delicious fruit. I can’t eat fruit salad with cantaloupe in it because then everything tastes like cantaloupe. The smell alone makes me want to gag. I can’t even kiss Brett after he eats it. I make him brush his teeth first.

I really truly hate cantaloupe.

But not as much as I hate forced writing.

So, I’m taking a little break this week, but I’ll try to scrounge up some lovely photos for you to look at in the meantime.

Fellow cantaloupe haters (are you out there?), feel free to leave your cantaloupe rants below.

This entry was posted in be and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to on loving quiet and hating cantaloupe.

I, too hate cantaloupe! My thoughts on honey dew aren’t much better.

2. Aww, that’s sad about the writing and the cantaloupe! We just ate half of one today, so I’m not on the cantaloupe hatin’ bandwagon, but I feel ya on the forced writing. Hope it’s short-lived and you get to enjoy some quiet time. I have a slight recollection of what “quiet” was like {sigh} ­čśë

3. iris ashley says:

omg i hate cantaloupe too! it’s disgusting and it overpowers any other fruit it touches so you can’t even pick it out of a fruit salad because now the whole damn thing tastes like cantaloupe! yuck! haha ok mini rant over…

enjoy your break pretty girl!
    iris ashley┬┤s last blog post ..i spy with my little eye…

4. Shey says:

I’m with Sarabella! Cantaloupe and Honey Dew are yucky. I also wanna add Papaya. I great blended with stuff or as juice but I cant stand the fruit!

5. Raquel says:

My husband hates all melon. It’s the texture, he tells me. Every so often I try to re-introduce it but he says that “he’ll never play nice with that kind of fruit.”

Enjoy your break from writing. You’ve been on quite the hot streak. I feel like I could relate to all your posts in the last few months! Great stuff.

6. Katie says:

Your hatred for cantaloupe sounds like my hatred for grapefruit. So gross.

7. Faith says:

I like cantaloupe, so I am not sure what to say. ­čÖé
    Faith┬┤s last blog post ..Home Sweet Home

8. You know what I hate more than cantaloupe? HONEYDEW. Filler fruits, that’s what they are. Cheap melon that fills up fruit cups so restaurants don’t have to splurge on the good stuff, like berries.
    Suburban Sweetheart┬┤s last blog post .."Responsibility to Act"

9. Erica says:

I hate cantaloupe too! Probably because I’m allergic to it, but nonetheless, I too, hate it!
    Erica┬┤s last blog post ..boyfriend’s birthday – part 2.

10. lolo says:

cantaloupe is the worst

11. Ashley says:

i totally agree with you. cantaloupe is the worst fruit ever invented, and fate would have it that I married a cantaloupe lover. and, that is really thoughtful of your mother-in-law. my mother-in-law just thinks I am way too picky and doesn’t even bother. sigh.

12. Karri says:

I can’t STAND cantaloupe. Not with a mouse, not in a house. Not with a cat, not with a rat. I hate cantaloupe and I detest the smell. Yet one of my children loves cantaloupe. Must be a genetic thing, because my husband buys it every summer. Honey dew is bad, too. Unless my Honey is actually doing something for me. I can picture the cantaloupe being sliced with a large buther knife and the juices running all over the counter. Ick. I hate cantaloupe.

13. jackie says:

holy moly, such strong feelings towards a poor little fruit. ha. i guess i’ve never tried cantaloupe before that i can remember, so i can’t say whether i’m with you or not, but at least we know where you stand.
    jackie┬┤s last blog post ..genius!

14. kylee says:

add me to the cantaloupe haters club.
    kylee┬┤s last blog post ..a ring on her finger and a story to tell

15. even worse than cantaloupe ( i wouldn’t say i hate it, but i wouldn’t buy it or put it in anything i’d prepare…) : honeydew. it doesn’t even really have a taste. yuck.

ps: hope you’re feeling better soon! xoxo
    kim { notcrazy }┬┤s last blog post ..365 // 87 // new: the kleenex app ­čÖé

16. Stephany says:

Ugh, I hate cantaloupe, too! My entire family loves it but I have never seen what’s so great about it.

The worst part? At my old job, I would have to cut up cantaloupe once a week for my entire daycare center. Awful, awful.
    Stephany┬┤s last blog post ..My New Job

17. Kate says:

Sorry, I love cantalope. ­čśë Once when Cody was out of town I ate half a cantalope for dinner and called it a night.
    Kate┬┤s last blog post ...art imitates life.

18. cantaloupe haters unite! full disclosure: i’m also allergic, but still. YUCK! and i know my m-i-l is annoyed with me because she mixed my blueberries with the nasty orange the other night. boo on her!
    Tami — Teacher Goes Back to School┬┤s last blog post ..Saturday Senses

19. chrissy says:

i feel the same way about green peppers. a whole big bunch of yuck.

xoxo
    chrissy┬┤s last blog post ..what’s in my bag

20. Lauren says:

I can totally jump on the hate-canteloupe bandwagon! However, I think you win in the degree of hatred, as I simply push them aside in my fruit salads. That might put you in another league… But I love that Mitzie sets them aside from you. Gotta love amazing mother-in-laws!

21. Connie Halon says:

I HATE cantalope and cilantro. I’m wondering if other cantalope haters also hate cilantro?