Hello, I’m Kyla and I write (almost) every day at my blog KylaRoma.com. I’m so excited to be guest posting for Ashlee, I’ve loved her blog from the first moment I found it- and I couldn’t wait to share a Valentines Day treat with you.
I might not be big on holiday decorating, but I’m big on holiday food! Valentines Day is the perfect time to make something simple and sweet for yourself or someone you love. I can’t resist recipes that are as decadent as they are simple to make, and for these beautiful little truffles you only need four ingredients, and no special cooking skills. No really, I promise!
I can’t think of a better way to inspire love than a serving of some homemade truffles, they’re guaranteed to impress and couldn’t be less intimidating to try.
8 oz Semi-Sweet or Bittersweet Chocolate (about 3/4 of a bag)
1/2 C heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
Cocoa Powder for coating
1. In a small saucepan simmer whipping cream until it starts to reduce (look for lots of bubbling and some evaporation)
2. Pour chocolate in a separate bowl, pour the hot cream over it and add vanilla. Allow to stand for a few minutes, then stir until smooth.
3. Pour into a large, flat container and allow to cool in a refrigerator for two hours.
4. Scrape up the truffle mixture with a teaspoon, and form into small balls.
Tip: Rolling the truffles works best when done with cold hands! After every other truffle is made, rinse your hands in cold water and pat them dry before starting. If you can keep the truffles from melting in your hands they’ll have a polished and professional looking finish once they’re coated.
5.Place on a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment papers, and refrigerate overnight.
6. Roll in cocoa powder to coat and serve, or return to refrigerator until they can’t be resisted any longer.
You can make your truffles fancier by adding mint leaves, cinnamon sticks or cardamom pods to the whipping cream as it simmers and then skimming them out before moving to step two.
Coat them in anything you like! Finely chopped walnuts or almonds would be amazing.
Enjoy- and be sure to treat yourself this Valentines Day!