dear future baby.

(disclaimer: I am not, I repeat not, pregnant.)

Dear future baby,

I have been thinking about you a lot lately. Perhaps because four of my friends are pregnant, or maybe because we just crossed another item off our pre-baby bucket list. Oh well, it doesn’t really matter why….I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you today.

I was daydreaming and wondering what you’ll be like. Wondering if you’ll be a boy and be great at sports like your dad. Or if you’ll be a girl and have long eyelashes like I do. Maybe you’ll like to write, or maybe you’ll love music. Either way, you’re going to be so smart—I just know it.

Sometimes I wonder what it will be like to hold you, and just stare at you for hours. I know you’ll be so perfect that I won’t be able to take my eyes off of you. I can’t wait for that day. I can’t wait for the day when I am less selfish because I am too busy caring for and loving you to worry about anything else. You are going to change me, in a good way.

I have no idea when to expect you, and that’s okay. I just wanted you to know that I think about you often, and I pray for you too. I pray that I will be a good mom to you someday, and that Brett will be a good dad. I pray that you will always see the love that we have for each other, and the love that we have for you.

Until then, your dad and I will be enjoying this time to ourselves. We are seeking out adventures, laughing a lot, and learning lessons we need to learn before you get here. We are very much in love and can’t wait to meet you someday.

Know that you are already loved.

-A

This entry was posted in favorites, love, Transfer and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to dear future baby.

1. Ashley says:

Way to make me tear up. You are going to be an amazing mom.
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Stitch Swap Love. =-.

2. Ashlee says:

Aww, I love you Ash! 😉

3. kelly ann says:

this was so sweet and heartfelt… i got goosebumps!
    .-= kelly ann´s last blog ..the small stakes. =-.

4. Liz says:

You’re so amazing Ash; and I agree–you’re going to be the cutest mom ever. Benefit of being preggo to look forward to? Unlimited fro you. For you know, two. 🙂
    .-= Liz´s last blog ..gpoww 4.7.10 =-.

5. Liz says:

fro yo*

DAMMIT KEYBOARD.
    .-= Liz´s last blog ..gpoww 4.7.10 =-.

6. Andrew says:

Great post Ashley, if only all pre-parents thought like you did I think our world would be a much different (and better) place …
    .-= Andrew´s last blog ..April Snow =-.

7. Libby says:

Oh my gosh i can’t WAIT for a little Gadd baby. This was so good in so many ways.
    .-= Libby´s last blog ..Spring! =-.

8. Ashlee says:

You all are too sweet. The best part of writing this post was seeing Brett’s face after he read it 😉

9. Paulette Hawes says:

Dearest Ashlee – Your blog was so incredible and definitely brought tears to my eyes. When I was pregnant with you and Garrett we prayed everyday for healthy babies. And I did stare at you for hours on end and thanked God for the precious miracle He blessed us with. Just know that we are praying for future grandchildren as well. So get to work on that pre-baby bucket list and enjoy this time together. I love you.

10. Hubs says:

I love this post.

It’s led me to look into the phenomenon known as “Why I pretend to laugh when I am really crying.” There has to be a Wikipedia page for that, right? Stay tuned …
    .-= Hubs´s last blog ..dear future baby. =-.

11. So sweet! Reminds me of one of my favorite movies– Waitress– when she would write letters to her future baby. You have a little bit more of a positive outlook than she did though… anyone seen the movie? It’s the best!
    .-= Nicole Geurin, RD´s last blog ..Healthiest Nation in One Generation =-.

12. Kyla Roma says:

This is so sweet! And four of your friends are pregnant? Oh my goodness!! No wonder why this is on your mind! =)
    .-= Kyla Roma´s last blog ..Friday Finds: Keel’s Simple Diary =-.

13. Hannah Katy says:

Love love love this post! You are going to make one heck of a mother.

Best,

Hannah Katy
    .-= Hannah Katy´s last blog ..A Letter to the Big City: I am finally ready to change your name to “home.” =-.

14. Ashlee says:

Nicole I LOVE the movie Waitress! Seriously, it’s one of my absolute favorites. I’m sure once I’m actually pregnant, I’ll be writing a lot more baby letters 😉

15. what a beautiful letter– wish I did that for all my kids– I sorta met you through summer at the Pinkberry VIP party.

16. Lauren says:

Ashlee, as everyone else has already well state, this is a beautiful letter. Per usual, your writing makes me stop and think, yet warms my heart and makes me smile all at the same time.

17. Pingback: three years ago today (part two of the love story). | Where My Heart Resides

18. Britty says:

Not sure how I got here, but somewhere in between obsessively refreshing your Facebook page to see if you’ve posted new photos of Everett and revisiting your maternity series I ended up on this little post. It made me all teary-eyed, and forced a grin on my face that I just can’t seem to wipe away. I’m so happy for you, friend. What a great momma you’ll be!
    Britty´s last blog post ..FLEETING MOMENTS